Why are bongs still so popular?
Simple, yet effective, the process of purifying smoke through water continues to create some of the smoothest, biggest, cleanest hits. Over the last 2,000 years, smokers have discovered ingenious ways to improve water pipes with different materials, shapes, and features you can learn about here. Our premium quality yet cheap bongs also come in dozens of shapes and colors, so you'll be sure to find the one that speaks to your soul. Straight tube bongs are the most basic style of bong, simply a tube and bowl, but the possibilities are endless depending on what you are looking for. Our Skyscraper Bong illustrates this perfectly with its three levels of filtration, a series of three ice pinch chamber, Swiss percolator and 5 stem tree percolator topped off with an ice catcher. We know, it's a lot to take in, but the versatility of bongs is exactly why it's one of the most popular ways to get lifted.
Buy Bongs and Water Pipes Online
Now you may have made some seriously cool homemade bongs (see the lava lamp bong) and gravity bongs in your heyday and we know DIY is hot right now, but why smoke out of an apple or plastic bottle that's harsh and releases toxic chemicals when you can upgrade to a glass bong that's much healthier and has tons of cool features that make the experience that much better? Whether you are looking for a simple beaker bong like the Bare Bones or a designer bong like our Louie G Vouibong bong, Marley Natural Smoked Water Pipe or a sick novelty bong like the Amanita Cletus bong by Moldy Creations, we've got you covered. Some of our favorite cool bongs include the Large Dappled Skull bong, Iridescent Beaker bong and Rainbow Silicone bong. We've also got a glass Apple bong, if you're feeling nostalgic. If this is your first bong we recommend a simpler Straight Tube bong or Beaker bong to get you started as these will be the least complicated to smoke from and the easiest to clean. The more intricate the bong, especially ones with multiple percolators like the Double Barrel bong, the harder it is to remove residue and the more investment is needed in glass cleaning kits. Just keep it simple until you're ready to upgrade to more advanced bongs with multiple chambers, percolators and adding other smoking accessories to enhance your filtration power.
How to use a bong
So how does a bong work? A bong is made up of a tube, base, downstem, carb and bowl. First, load your herb into the bowl, light up and inhale. As you pull smoke from the bowl through the downstem and up the chamber, clean smoke moves through the water in the form of bubbles, filtering tar and ash while cooling down the smoke. How to hit a bong is an art form in itself, especially as you learn how to blow smoke rings, how to french inhale and other smoke tricks.
What’s the best bong for me?
We carry a variety of bong types that can match almost any preference whether you're looking for a glass bong, percolator bong, beaker bong, straight tube bong, silicone bong, ceramic bong, acrylic bong, mini bong, small or huge bong:
Straight tube bongs also known as straight-shooters are your classic bong; the straight shape of the chamber creates the most direct hits and they’re extremely easy to clean.
Beaker bongs have a base that tapers out like a flask, allowing smoke to gather for a larger hit.
Percolator bongs use various styles of percolators, which filter and diffuse smoke for smoother hits. Pipes characteristically have harsh dry hits, but percolators help moisturize your hits by causing smoke and water to interact more often.
Multi-chamber bongs also known as recyclers create greater filtration and smoother, more concentrated hits.
Carburetor/finger carb bongs have a small air hole instead of a pull-out slide; these are easy to transport, which is why most carb bongs are mini bongs.
- Bent neck bongs have a curved neck which acts like a splashguard, so that you don't get unwanted splash back and allows you to take hits more easily given its angled curvature.
- Silicone bongs are the most travel-friendly bong style. They great if you need something durable and lightweight for when you go camping, hiking, biking or just want to stuff it in your bag without worrying that it might shatter and ruin your weekend.
- Mini bongs are extremely portable bongs that are less than 7 inches tall, normally ranging between 5-6 inches and can be discreetly tucked away in your bag. They normally have all the same features that a standard sized bong does, but their size makes them easier to use and less expensive. Small bongs are slightly larger in size and are a good middle ground option. They are great for solo seshes, parties of two and when you need to be discreet.
Heat stable borosilicate glass: Borosilicate glass is used in laboratories, wineries and high-end restaurants for it's durability and ability to withstand extreme temperature changes. Clear glass offers great visibility, letting you watch as smoke builds up and easily see when it’s time to clean your bong; however many glass bongs come in gorgeous colors and designs like our Large Dappled Skull bong.
Ceramic bongs are some of the most classically beautiful and cool-looking bongs available, and can even have detailed patterns. While glass may be the most universal material, ceramic is actually even better at cooling smoke and more durable, although if it takes a fall it can crack similar to glass. What's certain is that you’ll want to show these off as the centerpiece in your living room, especially the more decorative and styled pieces.
Silicone bongs: These flexible bongs are shatterproof, durable and flexible which makes them easy to transport, plus they come in lots of fun, vibrant prints and patterns. One of our top picks, especially among Rick and Morty fans, is the RNM Silicone Bong.
Other features and smoking accessories to consider:
- Bowls - Bong bowls come in a variety of sizes and shapes, but to get the one right for you, you'll need to take an honest look at yourself and the size rips you take to get the most optimal bowl. Diameter and load size are the most important features to consider. The bong's outer stem is the joint size and is most likely 14.5mm or 18.5mm, which are the most common sizes. If you consider yourself Poseidon god of the sea and can manipulate water as well as you can massive rips, then a 29.2mm joint size will help you level up.
Downstems - Built-in downstems make bongs easier to transport, while percolated downstems add extra smoke filtration. It's typical for a bong to have both an inner and outer stem, which are normally made from glass or even metal. The outer stem is what supports the bong bowl.
- Nail or Banger - If you already thought bongs we're versatile you'll be surprised to learn that a nail can convert your bong into a dab rig so you can dabble in concentrates, oils and wax when you want to spice things up. Suddenly, your rig just got a lot more valuable! Now you can use your bong as a dab bong or you can invest in a dab rig as you get more into concentrates.
Ice catchers - Also known as an ice pinch or ice trap, these indents in the chamber neck of a bong hold ice, which helps cool smoke as it travels to the mouthpiece for icy hits.
Percs - There are dozens of different kinds of percolators, but all of them work to filter smoke for even smoother, cleaner hits providing additional diffusion to smoke. Some of the most popular percolator styles include tree percs, showerhead pers, honeycomb percs, inline percs, matrix percs, turbine percs, fritted disc percs, spiral/coil percs and faberge egg percs. Some percolator types like tree percs have 20 variants and counting, as new styles emerge.
- Ash catcher - Sitting inside your bong this piece adds a second level of filtration by catching ash before they go through the bong's main chamber.
- Cleaning Kit - If you don't have one of these then you're probably not a true stoner, so if your friends have made remarks it's about time to invest! Bong cleaner kits normally include brushes, cleaning solutions and cotton swabs. They are great for all of your glass pieces and smoking accessories.
Joint sizes for bongs
The joints in our body connect bones and body tissue together, so similarly, the joint must match the size of your bong so that it's airtight and performs optimally. The standard bong joint sizes are as follows: 10mm, 14.5mm, 18.8mm and 29.2mm. The first three are the most common, but if you want a challenge the 29.2mm is for experienced smokers that can take enormous hits.
Why use a bong?
The filtering and cooling power of water gives bongs a clear advantage on joints, hand pipes, etc. Water removes toxins and tar/ash from smoke, protecting your body from damage, and creating a more comfortable experience. What you see in that murky bong water is all the nasty crud that’s not going in your mouth, throat, and lungs. Bong water also cools smoke to a comfortable temperature that won’t burn your throat. Additionally, many wonder what the difference is between a bong and a bubbler since they are both water pipes, so we’ve created a guide that’s worth checking out, so you know which is best for you. We've also created a few guides on the best bongs, depending on the occasion, price range and style, which you can check out below.
Best bongs under $50
If you're looking for a cheap bong under $50 we've got you covered.
Wide Base Beaker - This classic, simple beaker bong is all you really need and is topped of with an ice catcher.
High Times Mini Bong - Mini percolator bong with one showerhead perc and colored accents.
Single Disk Perc Mini Bong - Great perc bong at 5.5 inches tall and one of our cheapest bong at just $34.20.
Where to learn more about bongs
If you’re interested in learning more about bongs be sure to check out our blog:
If you have any questions about our glass bongs for sale feel free to contact us with your questions! Now, it's time to turn up Hits from the Bong and get blazed.