Pax 3 Vaporizer Review
Just like dab pens, dry herb vaporizers are one of the newer niches in the vape game and have gotten much better than when they were first introduced. Pax Labs designs some of the most popular vapes amongst marijuana smokers and the Pax 3 vaporizer is no exception. The Pax 3 dry herb vape was immediately loved by the cannabis community since it can switch so seamlessly between bud and wax. If you’re debating which dry herb vape to purchase, take a look over our Pax 3 vaporizer review that will help you make your decision.
Pax 3 vaporizer review
Pax 2 vs Pax 3
While they may look exactly the same on the outside, the Pax 3 has a few upgrades hidden inside its anodized aluminum shell that gives it a one up on the earlier edition.
- Heating - The Pax 3 heats up to the hottest temperature setting in just roughly 30 seconds, a full 30 seconds faster than the Pax 2. After heating and taking a hit, the Pax 3 will heat back up to the original temperature in just 5 seconds, where the Pax 2 takes about double the time to reheat between draws. Let’s be honest though, a one minute initial heat up time and 10 second reheat is still amazing.
- Haptic feedback - Unlike the Pax 2, the newer Pax vape uses haptic feedback (vibration) to alert you when it’s fully heated and ready to smoke. No more looking down and checking those little lights.
- Pax app - While you can use any Pax vaporizer on its own, the Pax 3 vape is bluetooth enabled and will connect to the Pax app where you’re able to fine tune the preset temperatures and other settings. As of 2019, Apple does not allow any vape apps in the app store, so iPhone users will have to settle for the Pax website where they will have the same ability to control the vape settings.
- Price - The older Pax 2 vape is now $154.20 with a two year manufacturer’s warranty, while the Pax 3 basic kit, which includes special pipe cleaners, a wire brush, and a charger goes for $234.20. Be sure to check the EF420 website for the coupon code of the month to get 10% off or more on your order!
Pax 3 settings and vapor quality
For just 4 inches long, this lightweight vaporizer produces some giant plumes of dense vapor. The vapor is so silky smooth on the throat that you might just think you didn’t get a good puff. If you’ve never used a dry herb vaporizer before, it will take you some time to figure out how to correctly pack the oven and which heat settings to choose for flavorful and dense vapor. There are four preset temperature settings, 360° F, 380° F, 400° F, and 420° F. These temperatures can be fine tuned via the Pax 3 app (Android only) or the Pax website (designed for iPhone). It takes roughly 30 seconds for the device to heat all the way to the hottest temperature. The two lower temperature settings produce small vapor clouds that are very tasty, while the hotter temperatures lose a bit of the flavor, but offer giant, dense, plumes.
How to vape concentrates with the Pax 3
The coolest part about the Pax 3 is that you can turn the dry herb vaporizer into a portable dab pen. You’ll need to purchase a concentrate insert that pops right into the Pax 3 oven. While not included in the Pax 3 basic kit, the concentrate insert is well worth the extra $54 to be able to transition seamlessly between dry herb and wax. The Pax 3 vaporizer is a great device if you don’t smoke cannabis concentrates that often, but like to be prepared if the moment arises. If you’re all about the 710 life, it’s best to choose a dab pen or e-rig made specifically for that purpose since you’ll have better temperature settings and usability.
How to clean Pax 3 vape
One of the more annoying things about dry herb vaporizers is the cleaning process. Unlike 510 thread batteries and vape pens, you don’t just pop out and replace a cartridge. Dry herb vapes should be cleaned at least after every other session in order to function at its best. After too long, resin will build up in the airway so you’ll get less and less vapor as well as poorer tasting hits. Cleaning the Pax 3 vaporizer is very straightforward, especially if you have the basic or complete kit that includes pipe cleaners and a wire brush. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- Turn off the device and let it cool before removing the mouthpiece and emptying the oven.
- Submerge the mouthpiece in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol and wipe clean with cotton swabs or a paper towel. Let dry
- Next dip a pipe cleaner in alcohol and clean the airway thoroughly. Press the pipe cleaner through the vape with enough force to pop out the bottom of the oven. Wipe both the oven and this small metal piece with a moist cotton swab. Dry completely before replacing the oven bottom.
Conclusion: Is the Pax 3 worth it?
The Pax 3 is still one of the best dry herb vaporizers on the market and is worth the investment since it can also be used to smoke concentrates. Here’s a quick breakdown of the Pax 3 pros and cons:
- Dense and flavorful vapor
- Long lasting battery life and quick charging time
- Medical-grade materials
- App integration
- Compatible with dry herb and concentrates
- Durable anodized aluminum shell
- Haptic feedback
- It can be a nuisance to clean
- The Pax app only works with Android and iPhone users need to use the Pax website
Pax 3 for sale
You can find the Pax 3 vaporizer for sale on our online smoke shop along with other Pax vaporizers and Pax accessories. We’ve also got a wide selection of other dry herb vapes, 510 batteries, vape mods, dab pens, e-rigs, and more!