Munchies: How to Make Weed Infused Wine at Home
Cannabis edibles aren’t just confined to brownies, gummies, and other sweets. CBD or THC drinks are also considered weed edibles and are gaining popularity. Just like normal edibles, it’s also possible to save some money and make your own weed infused drinks at home. Everyone enjoys a nice glass of merlot after work or an ice cold rosé with brunch. Why not combine your love for wine and the green goddess with DIY weed wine. It’s surprisingly easy to make!
Is weed wine legal?
Weed wine or cannabis infused wine is actually illegal in the U.S. This is because the federal law prohibits the manufacture and/or sale of alcoholic or marijuana products in the same location. All the legitimate brands you see marketing weed wine will either be non-alcoholic or will not contain any THC. This means that you won’t get high from store-bought weed wine. If you truly want to get the best of both worlds, you’ll need to head to the kitchen and cook up some weed infused wine at home.
What does weed wine taste like?
Marijuana pairs amazingly with so many other flavors, especially chocolate, coffee, and wine. Homemade weed wine has a dank, skunky smell that you’ll get a whiff of immediately after opening the bottle, however it doesn’t taste as strong as it smells. You’ll still be able to savor the flavor profile of the wine, but there will be an earthy, grass like taste from the pot. If you prefer sweet or fruity flavors over earth tones, you can always make a sangria using fruits.
Weed infused wine recipe
If you’re wondering how to make weed infused wine at home, you’re in the right place. There are two methods of infusion that are quick and simple to do at home.
Option 1: Cheesecloth infusion
This method requires infusion of the wine using decarboxylated dry herb. The best part is that you’ll only need three pieces of equipment that you probably already have laying around. These are a baking pan, a grinder, and cheesecloth or pantyhose.
- 1 bottle of wine or sangria
- Approximately 20 grams of dry herb
Weed wine recipe step by step
- First you’ll need to decarb your flower. Break up the nugs into big pieces and place on a baking sheet. Bake for around 45 minutes at 230°F/110°C. The flower will get dark but should not burn. Don’t be tempted to rush this part of the process.
- Remove the decarbed bud and start grinding. You’ll want the ganja to have an even and very fine grind. The infusion process will work better and be quicker if the flower is as finely ground as possible.
- Now there are two options. You can open the wine and pour in the dry herb directly and strain it after the infusion process is complete, or you can make a small bag with the cheesecloth or pantyhose that will hold the marijuana during infusion. The later option is easier and has less cleanup since the bag works similarly to a tea bag. Either way, once you’ve added the weed to the wine, be sure to replace the cork.
- Place the wine in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours to infuse. Shake the bottle every hour or so if possible to get the most out of the bud. Once the time is up, squeeze the cheesecloth bag to get all the most potent flavors back into the wine before throwing it away. Now it’s time to drink up!
Option 2: Boiling
If you want to make a THC sangria or weed infused mulled wine, you’ll want to use the boiling method. There is no need to decarboxylate the dry herb ahead of time since it will be heated during the boiling stage. This method is also quicker if you don’t want to wait a full day for infusion to take place. The only equipment you’ll need is a large pot and either cheesecloth or pantyhose. If you have a crock pot, you can use it instead of using the stovetop.
- One bottle of wine
- 25 grams of dry herb
- 1/3 cup brandy or rum
- 1 apple
- 1 orange
- 3-4 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 orange
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cardamom pod
DIY weed wine recipe
- Open the wine and pour it into a large pot. Grind up your flower as finely as possible and add it to the wine. Next add the sliced fruits, sugar, spices, and all other ingredients except for the brandy.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-high heat. Cover the wine mixture and leave it on a low boil for two to three hours. Be sure to keep an eye on the weed wine so it doesn’t boil over.
- Strain the entire mixture using the cheesecloth or pantyhose.
- Add the brandy or rum for an extra kick and garnish with any leftover fruits. For sangria, you’ll want to let the mixture cool down in the refrigerator before serving cold with ice.
Now that you’re ready to make weed infused wine at home, how about picking up some smoking accessories to light up while you wait? Visit our online smoke shop for cheap bongs, glass pipes, rolling papers, rolling trays, herb grinders, weed storage containers, vaporizers, dab pens, and more!