What do CBD dog treats help with?
Cannabidiol is a chemical compound that is naturally occurring in cannabis plants. It is often used as a supplement for its wide range of health benefits. Though not officially supported by most veterinarians, pet owners who give their pups CBD have seen significant positive changes in temperament, stress levels, and other health-related issues. Those who give their dogs CBD believe that therapeutic uses include:
- Pain relief
- Stress and anxiety management (such as separation anxiety)
- Relief from cancer pain or cancer-related side effects
- Sleep issues
- Management of neurological disorders
- Relief from arthritis and joint issues
- Digestion issues
- Seizures and epilepsy treatment
Can a dog overdose on CBD treats?
The World Health Organization calls CBD “generally well tolerated with a good safety profile” and many people believe the same to be true for their furry friends. While there are no reports of an overdose by CBD, you can have too much of a good thing. Dog owners are recommended to speak with their veterinarian prior to starting their fur babies on a CBD regimen and to monitor them during the first week of treatment or when increasing dosage. To err on the safe side, take your pet directly to an animal hospital if any severe reactions arise. The following CBD side effects are rare, but if you notice your dog experiencing any of these symptoms, be sure to lower the dosage or stop the CBD regimen altogether and consult your vet.
- Extreme drowsiness
- Dry mouth
- Lowered blood pressure
- Lack of appetite
CBD dosage for dogs
Figuring out the right CBD dosage for dogs can take some time and patience. Keep a journal detailing the day, time, dosage (in mg), and any side effects or changes in mood or behavior that your pup experiences. Remember that CBD oil and CBD dog treats can take anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour to start working. Begin with the following starting dose based on your fur baby’s weight and increase the dose by 2 mg for dogs under 50 lbs or 5 mg for pups over 50 lbs every five days if no changes are seen during that time. Do not exceed half the dog’s weight per dose (for example, 25 mg maximum for a 50 lb dog).
Starting CBD Dosage For Dogs
- Small dogs (10-30 lbs) - 2 to 3 mg of CBD per dose
- Medium dogs (40-50 lbs) - 4 to 6 mg of CBD per dose
- Large dogs (60-100 lbs) - 7 to 10 mg of CBD per dose
- Very large dogs (100+ lbs) - 11 to 15 mg of CBD per dose
Can I make my own CBD dog treats?
Absolutely! While it’s easier to add some dog CBD oil to food or store-bought treats, puppers appreciate a nice homemade meal just like the rest of us. Here is a very simple homemade CBD dog treat recipe that you can prepare ahead of time in large batches.
CBD dog treat recipe
This savory CBD dog treat recipe has everything your dog loves, peanut butter and beef broth. It has just a few ingredients and will take no more than 45 minutes to whip up a batch of 24 dog treats. Check the potency of your dog CBD oil and be sure to measure the correct dose per treat for the size and needs of your pup. If you plan on giving your pet more than one or two CBD dog treats per day, you will need to significantly lower the dosage.
- 240 mg of Pet CBD oil (dose for a medium/large sized dog)
- ½ cup xylitol free, organic peanut butter
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- ½ cup dry dog food
- 1 cup 100% pumpkin puree (do not use pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup salt-free, organic beef broth
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil or olive oil
CBD dog treat recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except for the dry dog food. After everything is well combined, fold in the dry dog food.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and portion out 24 cookies. Each cookie will be roughly 1 tablespoon in size.
- Bake at 325 F for 20 to 30 minutes for chewy cookies or up to 50 minutes for crunchy cookies.
- These CBD dog treats can be made in large batches and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Cookies can also be stored in the freezer to extend shelf life.
Pick up CBD products for dogs or get yourself a little gift at our online CBD shop. You’ll find pet CBD, CBD gummies, CBD pre-rolls, CBD salves, CBD oil, CBD capsules, CBD lotion, and more!