Why do you get hungry when you’re high
One of the most well-known side effects of smoking weed is experiencing a sudden, persistent urge to stuff your face. This unsatisfiable appetite is frequently made fun of in movies and is a cause of worry for pot smokers trying to stay fit and healthy. What you’re feeling is not just in your head.
Research has shown that THC, the chemical compound in marijuana that makes you feel high, interacts with certain areas in the brain associated with taste and smell. This is why nearly everything tastes amazing when you’re baked. THC also triggers a hormone in the stomach called ghrelin, which regulates appetite. Although these are normal bodily processes, smoking weed intensifies and sharpens these effects. THC literally makes our brain think that our body is starving, triggering an increase in appetite. CBD on the other hand does not cause the munchies and may actually even inhibit some of the effects of THC so you don’t eat as much. If you’re not looking to get high or struggle with the munchies but you still want to enjoy the health benefits of cannabis, CBD is the way to go.
What to eat when stoned
You’re probably very familiar with the stereotypical stoner food like pizza, nachos, and cookies. Here are a few snack ideas to help satisfy your cravings. You may actually already have some of these at home!
- Loaded fries
- Hot cheetos
- Grilled cheese sandwich
- Cheese sticks
- Chicken wings
- Chicken nuggets
- Cheese quesadilla
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Ice Cream with maple syrup
- Rice krispies treats
Fast food options
Greasy junk food at a decent price and you don’t even have to leave the car? What more could a hungry stoner want? Some fast food establishments even market specifically to those who blaze (remember that Taco Bell late night munchies commercial?). The best part is that most fast food restaurants offer delivery so you don’t even need to leave the couch! Well, maybe just to open the front door. Every smoker has their go to fast food restaurant for when the munchies hit, but we thought we’d give you a few more choices in case you ever want a change from the normal routine.
- Jack in the Box - The extra hungry can get a late night Munchie Meal (yup, they named it after the munchies) which comes with a sandwich of your choice, fries, two tacos, and a drink, but the real OG are the $1 crunchy tacos which now come in a mini size, yay!
- In N Out - Stoners on the West Coast can chow down on animal style fries covered in secret sauce, 4x4 cheeseburgers, and decadent shakes until 1 in the morning!
- Jollibee - If you didn’t know, this Filipino fast food restaurant has some of the best fried chicken (and gravy) around. They serve delicious halo halo for desert and spaghetti topped with a sweeter than average tomato sauce.
- White Castle - Order up some of these iconic sliders by the crate and relive your Harold and Kumar fantasies.
- Taco Bell - This budget chain has been a stoner favorite since day one. You can’t go wrong with a crunchwrap supreme, Doritos locos tacos, $5 boxes, or virtually anything on the value menu.
- Little Caesars - It definitely won’t be the best pizza you’ll ever eat, but Little Caesars is super affordable plus they just started offering delivery.
Thanks to delivery services like UberEats, Postmates, and Grubhub, it’s possible to get any type of cuisine with just a few clicks. If you’re too blazed to leave the house, much less drive, try one of the many delivery services so you can get pad see ew from that hole in the wall Thai place that you love.
Munchies grocery list
Some of us would rather not have to deal with leaving the house or placing a delivery when we’re high. Adding a few items to your usual grocery list is an easy way to always have a curated selection of snacks at home that are waiting for you when the munchies strike. There will be no need to walk over to the corner shop or hit the drive through when you’ve got your fridge and cabinets stocked with all the munchie favorites.
- Hot pockets
- Bagel Bites or Pizza Rolls
- Frozen taquitos
- Frozen Pizza
- Frozen White Castle sliders
- Potato chips
- Chocolate chip cookie dough
- Pop tarts
- Mac and cheese
Though most smokers prefer to reach for sweets and junk food, there’s no reason to shy away from healthier alternatives. Here are just a few healthy snacks for munchies you can add to the grocery list too:
- Air popped popcorn
- Low calorie ice cream like Halo Top
- Dark chocolate that is 70% or higher
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- Apples dipped in nutella or peanut butter
- Nutella on toast
- Trail mix or nuts
- Baked chips like Pop Chips
- Chocolate chips with chocolate syrup
What is your all time favorite food for the munchies? Let us know in the comments.
Why are you hungry when you're high?
THC, the chemical compound in marijuana that makes you feel high, interacts with certain areas in the brain associated with taste and smell. This is why nearly everything tastes amazing when you’re baked. THC also triggers a hormone in the stomach called ghrelin, which regulates appetite
What is eat when you get high?
When you get high, you might be looking around for some yummy munchies and snacks. We've all been there, raiding the fridge and pantry to bust out the best munchies. If you're looking for something savory, try making some tacos or pizza! If you're into the sweet side of life, open up the ice cream!
What fast food restaurants do you recommend?
When it comes to munchies and snacks, you can never go wrong with some great fast food! If you're high and need something quick, here are a few great options! Taco Bell is number one on our list for stoner favorites, offering items as low as a dollar! If you're in California, check out In N Out!
What foods should be on hand when you're high?
If you're a planner, on the goal is to smoke a bowl and relax with some munchies and snacks, we've got you covered. Some of the more popular munchies and snacks we like to have on hand are hot pockets, chips, frozen pizzas, even lunchables! As far as dessert goes, you might want look into ice cream!