How to Use a Dab Pen?
To the average person, dabbing with a tabletop dab rig may seem labor intensive and having to use a scorch torch scares away a lot of people since it can seem like you’re smoking something else. If you want to get into dabbing concentrates but don’t want the hassle of a dab rig, try a dab pen that you can quickly slip into your pocket and puff on the go. Now you might be asking yourself, but “How do you use a dab pen?” You’ll be surprised at just how easy it is. Dab pens are fully contained with a built-in heat source so all you have to do is load in your favorite cannabis concentrate and press the power button.
What is a dab pen?
If you’re wondering how to use a dab pen, you might first want to know what the device is and how it differs from other types of vaporizers. Dab pens, also called a wax pen or wax vaporizer, is a special type of vape pen (usually a little bigger) that is compatible with cannabis concentrates like wax, budder, shatter, BHO, bubble hash, and others. The device is a middle ground between a traditional dab rig that requires a bunch of components and a classic vape pen that uses cartridges with diluted THC or CBD oil. A wax pen is a must-have for any stoner who likes to partake in concentrates and want to experience full-bodied flavor loaded with terpenes and cannabinoids. Some of the advantages of using a dab pen vs a vape pen or dab rig are:
- Travel-friendly size that’s ultra portable and fits in your pocket.
- Less labor intensive with a quick heat up time for dabbing on the go.
- Clean, fresh tasting dabs every single time.
- Full flavor and potency.
- Precise control over the temperature and vapor production.
- User friendly with less of a learning curve than a classic dab rig.
- Requires less equipment than a dab rig making it super convenient.
- Some models are 2-in-1 dab pens and dry herb vaporizers so you can seamlessly switch between flower and concentrates using the same device.
- Many models offer pass-through charging so you can use the device even when it’s out of battery.
- Slim design for discreet vaping.
- Quicker smoke sessions since you don’t need to wait between heating and cooling cycles.
How does a dab pen hit?
Smokers that use wax pens have a lot of control over the vapor production and can customize their experience. Depending on your preference and the type of cannabis concentrate you’re using, you’ll want to increase or decrease the temperature setting accordingly. The best part about using a dab pen is that you know that you’ll have the same quality hit every single time. The CBD or THC oil in most vape pen carts are concentrates to begin with, but they’re almost always diluted with other additives and ingredients. This leaves stoners with a less potent and far less flavorful hit from a vape pen than from a dab pen, which uses pure cannabis extracts. If full flavor and high potency is what you’re looking for, it’s time to learn how to use a dab pen and order your first device. Be warned, if you’re a novice smoker or haven’t tried concentrates before, dab pens can be overwhelming at first since the vapor is so potent compared to dry herb.
Parts of a dab pen
Wax pens can come in a wide range of sizes and styles, but all of them work similarly despite their outward appearance. These are the main components you’ll encounter:
- Mouthpiece - Dab pen mouthpieces are nearly always detachable, making the device easier to clean and quick to replace if needed. Mouthpieces are typically made from metal or silicone and snap in with a magnet or screw threads to reveal the heating chamber. Always keep the mouthpiece airpath clean for the best tasting dabs.
- Heating chamber - The most important part of any dab vape pen is the heating chamber. While most vape pens use convection, most wax pens use conduction heating via an oven or bowl that will come into contact with the concentrate and vaporize it at the lowest temperature possible. The oven is often crafted from tasteless materials that hold heat well such as ceramic or high quality metals. Avoid any older model that still uses a heating coil since this out-dated design will burn your smoking material.
- Vape pen battery - Another aspect that makes a big difference in the quality of the device is the vape pen battery. The size of the vaporizer will also determine the type of battery. Most vape pen batteries are rechargeable but not replaceable (you’ll need to get a new device if the battery fails). Since dabbing requires very high temperatures, the batteries will have a higher capacity than a vape pen.
- Charging cable - There is no such thing as a disposable wax pen. They’re always rechargeable and will include a charging cable of some kind. What kind of charger does a dab pen use? The most common is a USB cable, which can also be used with the same portable charger you have to juice up your cell phone when you’re traveling. Check to see if the model you have can do pass through charging otherwise you’ll be super bummed when you’re ready to smoke and the battery is dead.
How to use dab pen
While all vape pens work a bit differently, figuring out how to use a dab pen is very simple and straightforward. They’re designed to be user friendly and convenient after all! Table top dab rigs are the original dabbing devices, however it’s common knowledge amongst the stoner community that dab rigs do take some trial and error to achieve the perfect dab and require a bunch of equipment including a dab torch and dab tool. Learning how to use a wax pen on the other hand is so easy, your grandma could do it on her first try.
As mentioned before, you don’t need too much other than a fully charged wax pen to start dabbing, though a few other pieces of equipment make the process a lot easier. You should have a:
- Dab pen
- Cannabis concentrate of choice
- Dab tool (needed for maneuvering sticky concentrates)
How to use dab pen step-by-step
- Start by double checking that the device is fully charged and set to your desired temperature setting. You should always use the lowest possible temperature as not to burn off any terpenes or cannabinoids during vaporization. Check online to see the optimal temperature for each type of concentrate and adjust from there.
- Using a dab tool, try to scoop up the right dose for the size of the oven and add it to the heating chamber (avoid getting anything on the rim). This is by far the most difficult step. The size to load will vary based on the device, but it’s normally around 10-20 milligrams, which is roughly the size of a lentil. Concentrates are annoyingly gooey and drippy, so they’re difficult to maneuver without making a sticky mess. Be patient and get the right amount. Knowing how to use dab pen wax and work it with ease will come with practice.
- After loading the oven and replacing the mouthpiece, turn on the device (usually five clicks). Wait until a signal is given that the wax pen is heated up and ready to use. This is normally done in the form of a light or haptic feedback like vibration.
- That’s it! Give it a nice inhale and enjoy.
Dab pens for sale
Now that you know how to use a dab pen and what a wax pen is, take dabbing on the go with one of these top-of-the-line wax vaporizers that won’t break the bank. Here are a few of our favorites:
Airis Dabble 2-in-1 Vape
The Airis Dabble 2-in-1 Vape has changed the game! This little vaporizer has a genius design that lets you use it as a normal wax pen or you can also turn your dab rig or bong into a powerful e-rig. Take this bad boy on the go and then come home, drop onto the couch, and use it with your water bong. The device has a built-in 14mm male joint, however it also comes with a 19mm silicone bong adapter so it’s compatible with a variety of bongs. It uses a glass mouthpiece for clean, tasteless dabs and a 900 mAh battery with a USB charger. This 4-inch long dab pen is available in black, white, or a shiny metallic rainbow color. Did we mention that it’s less than $60!
Little Dipper Dip Dab Straw
This innovative smoking device created by Little Dipper is actually an electric dab straw. While it’s also used to partake in concentrates like a dab pen, there’s no loading needed. The Dip Dab Straw runs on a 650mAh battery with three heat settings and uses a patented airflow technology for giant plumes. Just turn it on and inhale while you tap the heated straw to the concentrate. Think of it like the movement of a hummingbird dipping into a nectar-filled flower. This dab straw is super affordable at just $34.20 and is a travel-friendly alternative for dabbing while out and about. The Little Dipper Dab Straw is available in black, ocean blue, and yellow.
Dip Evri Starter Pack
One of the best wax vaporizer kits right now is the Dip Evri Starter Pack. For just $74.20, you’ll get a complete kit that can be used as a dab straw, vape pen, or dab pen with all the accessories! To use it as a dab straw, attach the ceramic tip with the instant heat nichrome coil center. For CBD or THC oil, choose one of the refillable 510 thread pod attachments that will turn it into a normal vape pen. Ready to dab? Pop on the vapor tip attachment that snaps onto the magnetic 900 mAh battery and now you’ve got a concentrate pen with three temperature settings. Available in black or forest green, this rechargeable vape pen should be next on your shopping list.
KandyPens Crystal 2 Dab Pen
From the acclaimed vaporizer brand KandyPens comes the newest dab pen, the Crystal 2 Vape. This award winning vape pen is built with an all quartz crystal glass atomizer, variable voltage (2.6V, 3.0V, 3.6V, 4.2V), adjustable airflow, sub-ohm 1200mAh battery, and 510 thread. The number of features such as automatic-shutoff for safety and saving battery life, and the 10-second sesh mode are unbeatable for dab pens at this price point. Made from durable medical-grade electro plated stainless steel, the KandyPens Crystal 2 is one of the best dab pens on the market right now. Don’t believe us? This next-generation wax vaporizer won "Best Dab Pen of 2022" by Vaping 360, "Best Vape Pen of 2022" by The Vape Critic, and "Best Wax/Dab Pen of 2022" by The Vape Guide. Choose from opaque black or iridescent rainbow.
Sutra Mini Vaporizer
For a tiny dab pen that’s perfect for traveling and dabbing on the low, give the Sutra Mini Vaporizer a try. Don’t let its small 3-inch stature fool you, this mini vape pen has a 1600mAh Li polymer battery that can produce insane amounts of tasty vapor. This dual use vaporizer is compatible with dry herb and concentrate so it’s ready to party no matter what smoking material you may have on hand. It has a quartz wax chamber attachment and stainless steel flower oven that uses pure convection heating that can be programmed to any temperature between 320-410 degrees fahrenheit. Add to that a durable aluminum body, mouthpiece with a screen, and an included dab tool and bristle cleaning brush and you’ve got a recipe for success.
Now that you know how to use dab pens, it’s time to choose one that you’ll love! Visit our online smoke shop for a large selection of wax pens, dry herb vaporizers, dab pen accessories, dab tools, dab mats, concentrate storage containers, dab rigs, scorch torches, vape pens, e-rigs, and more!