What is cannabis wax?
Unlike some other types of cannabis concentrates, wax is soft, moldable, and easy to maneuver, making it a popular choice for dabs. The amber colored extract is sticky with a waxy texture, hence its name and has between 40% to 90% THC, which is around three times more potent than dry herb. Cannabis wax is often extracted using butane, however isopropyl alcohol can also be used for at home extraction. Since isopropyl alcohol is cheap, easy to obtain, and relatively safe to work with, sugar wax is one of the easiest dabs to make at home. Other benefits of smoking wax are:
- Less smell than flower and some other types of concentrates.
- High potency.
- Instant high.
- Easy to make at home.
- Long shelf life and less susceptible to mold.
- A little goes a long way.
- Found to be better for the lungs than smoking.
How do you smoke sugar wax?
Just like rolling a joint for the first time, learning how to smoke wax will take some practice to get the hang of. Unlike smoking flower, dabbing requires very high temperatures for the cannabis concentrate to vaporize. Getting a potent, flavorful dab the first time around is rare, so have some patience and give yourself some time to figure out how to smoke marijuana wax. The greatest tasting dabs always come from using a dab rig. What a bong is for dry herb, a dab rig is for concentrates. Just like bongs, dab rigs are typically made from glass and come in a variety of sizes with or without percolators. Instead of packing a bowl, dab rigs use a nail, which comes in different styles including quartz and titanium. If you don’t have a tabletop dab rig, don’t worry, you don’t have to invest in one to enjoy wax. Keep reading to find out how to smoke wax without a rig.
Equipment needed to smoke wax
- Dab rig
- Dab nail
- Carb cap
- Scorch torch
- Dab tool
- Concentrate of choice
- Alcohol swab
Best dab rigs
- Best dab rig under $100 - The 12-inch Deep Sea Diver Bong is fitted with a matrix percolator and at $74, it’s an absolute steal.
- Best mini dab rig - At just 3.5 inches tall, the Silicone Fortress Bong is a dual use mini bong and mini dab rig that’s travel-friendly.
- Best cool looking dab rig - Have your morning coffee with a side of dab with the 6-inch Starbucks inspired Dabuccino.
How to smoke wax step by step
Terms like dab nail and scorch torch may be new for you, but don’t let it scare you away from discovering how to smoke weed wax. If you’re new to the 710 lifestyle, follow these steps to get started using a dab rig to get the best quality dabs.
- Water - Add water to the chamber just like you would with a bong. Be sure to cover all percolators so they can correctly filter and aerate the vapor. Test the dab rig by inhaling to see that the water is bubbling. If the water is splashing up high enough to hit your lips or accidentally get inhaled, pour some out.
- Season the nail - New dab nails need to be seasoned before being used for the first time to eliminate any residue or minerals. While it’s not harmful if you forget this step, an unseasoned nail can lead to a funny tasting dab. To season the nail, place your quartz banger or titanium nail into the dab rig and heat it until it becomes red hot. At this point, some people like to add essential oil using a dab tool. Carefully remove the hot nail using tongs and place it into a bowl of water. Repeat the process at least three times before dabbing.
- Prepare a dab - Using your dab tool, get one dose (a portion for a single dab) at the tip of your dabber. Remember that dabs are extremely potent so try starting with 1/25th of a gram, which is about the size of half a grain of rice. Set it to the side.
- Heat the nail - Use the dab torch to begin heating up the quartz banger or titanium dab nail. Always heat just the nail and do not heat any part of the dab rig itself or your glass may crack. Keep heating it up until the nail is glowing red hot. Once it stops glowing, give it 45 seconds to cool off
- Cooling the nail - Now let the nail begin to cool down for roughly 20 to 30 seconds longer. This step will require some trial and error to determine the best wait time and temperature for your setup and type of concentrate. With dabs, you always want to use the lowest temperature possible to vaporize the concentrate. Too high a temperature and you’ll burn off prized cannabinoids and terpenes, too low and your wax won’t completely vaporize.
- Add the dab - Add your prepared dab to the nail using the dab tool and mix it around a bit to ensure even heating throughout while inhaling through the mouthpiece. Once you see that it is vaporizing, add the carb cap for the best airflow and heat retention.
- Take a rip - As the dab rig bubbles, the chamber will fill with vapor. Inhale to clear the chamber.
- Repeat - Congratulations, your first dab is complete! Now you can continue by preparing another dab on your dab tool and reheating the nail by repeating the same steps. Dabbing is cyclical meaning that the nail will go through cycles of extreme heat, cooling, and reheating. This is not like smoking flower from a bong, which is simply lit and inhaled. Dabbing is a process that requires some down time between heating and cooling.
- Clean the nail - Things get very sticky when smoking wax. It’s ideal to clean your dab nail after each use to reduce buildup and to have the best tasting dabs possible the next time you use your rig. It’s very simple and quick to do. While the wax is still warm (but not super hot), wipe the quartz banger or nail with alcohol swabs to remove all residue. You may need to heat up the nail for just a second so the wax is warm and workable. You can also use an alcohol soaked cloth to clean the mouthpiece, dab tool, and your sticky fingers.
We should have answered the common question of “how do you smoke sugar wax?” but if you don’t own a dab rig or feel like dropping cash on some new glassware, we’ll also share how to smoke wax without a rig.
How to smoke dabs without a rig
If you’re trying to figure out how to smoke wax without a rig, you’re not alone. The question “how to smoke dabs without a rig or torch” is one of the most commonly asked questions for those who want to partake in cannabis concentrates. While your normal tabletop dab rig produces amazing quality dabs, it requires some specialized equipment like a dabber, carb cap, and dab torch making it difficult to use on the go. Learning how to smoke dabs without a rig is an absolute game changer. If you want a portable way to dab, instead of a dab rig reach for a:
- Nectar collector
- Dab pen or wax vaporizer
How do you smoke wax with a nectar collector
Nectar collectors are an easy to use, discreet, and portable way to smoke dabs when you’re not at home with your full setup. It’s one of the best products to purchase if you want to know how to smoke dabs without a rig. Sometimes called dab straws or honey straws, nectar collectors work similarly to dab rigs. A nectar collector vs a dab rig is seen as the equivalent of smoking dry herb with a pipe vs a bong. Honey straws are made from glass or heat-safe silicone and use either glass, quartz, or titanium tips. It’s one of two options of how to smoke wax without a rig. This is how to do it:
- Prepare your dab in a dish or tray. You will not need to use your dab tool since there is no loading required.
- Use your dab torch to heat up the tip of the dab straw just like you would when using a dab rig.
- Let the tip cool down a bit. Once the desired temperature is reached, begin inhaling while touching the tip lightly to the concentrate in the dish. Think of the movement like a hummingbird quickly dipping its mouth in and out of a flower to drink nectar.
- Exhale and enjoy!
Best nectar collectors
- Best nectar collector kit - The Micro Nectar Collector arrives complete with a 10mm chamber, 10 mm titanium tip, 10 mm quartz tip, mouthpiece, keck clip, glass dish, and carrying box.
- Best unique honey straw - Turn heads with the detailed 5.5-inch Eggplant Honey Straw designed by the glass artists at Empire Glass.
- Best silicone dab straw - Never worry about broken glass with the heat-safe silicone Slugger Dabbing Dugout by the trendy, travel-friendly brand Ooze.
- Best electric dab straw - No torch, no problem. The Little Dipper Dab Straw Vape by DIP has a built-in battery and almost no heat time so you can discreetly dab anywhere.
How to smoke crumble wax with a dab pen
Also referred to as a wax pen or wax vaporizer, a dab pen is a special type of vaporizer that is made specifically for smoking cannabis concentrates. These do not use vape carts, but instead have an oven or heat chamber where the concentrate of choice is loaded. Using a dab pen is super easy and is one of the best ways if you want to know how to smoke wax without a rig or torch. Unlike some of the other methods mentioned above, you don’t need much equipment to smoke wax with a dab pen and it’s also the most discreet way to smoke dabs. Just follow these steps:
- Loading the chamber - Charge your wax vaporizer so you don’t run out of battery mid session. Load the heating chamber with wax using a dab tool. Be sure the chamber is cold when loading material.
- Heating the dab pen - Most dab pens have a range of preset temperature options. It will take some time using the device to figure out what temperature produces the best tasting and largest quantity of vapor. This will change depending on the type of concentrate you use. Start with the lowest setting and experiment.
- Time to dab - Once the dab pen indicates that it’s ready to use, inhale in short bursts. Wax pens work best using this method instead of long draws like smoking a joint.
Now that you know how to smoke wax without a rig or pen, it’s time to visit the dispensary and try dabbing for yourself! Visit our online smoke shop to pick up a dab rig, honey straw, wax pen, and accessories like carb caps, dab trays, concentrate storage containers, replacement quartz bangers, titanium nails, and dab tools.