How to clean silicone bongs
If you do a quick Google search, you’re sure to find countless ways that stoners have successfully cleaned their silicone bong, however as the old saying goes, don’t trust everything you read on the internet. Certain homemade or DIY bong cleaning methods that use harsh chemicals should be avoided. If you wouldn’t want to inhale it, you definitely don’t want to clean your silicone bong with it since there will almost always be some sort of residue left behind after the cleaning process is over. Avoid using alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, acetone, bleach, or any store bought cleaning solution with sketchy ingredients. The dishwasher method may be your go-to, but it’s possible that you can damage your silicone bongs. If you’re ready to put in some elbow grease and learn how to clean a silicone bong without a dishwasher, we’ve got some suggestions for that too. The first step is choosing one of the following methods:
The best part about owning a silicone bong besides that fact that it’s nearly indestructible is that you can pop it right in the dishwasher! Yes, you heard that right. Silicone bongs are dishwasher safe so there’s no need to waste time scrubbing away unless you want to give your bong a deep clean (this is recommended at least every once in a while). You should only rely on the dishwasher method if you really don’t have the time to give your water bong a true cleaning because it’s possible that extremely hot water can warp your water pipe. Another horrible circumstance can occur, your dishwasher can get covered in resin making your dishes and entire kitchen smell as dank as a dispensary. If your bong has not been cleaned for a while and is extra gunky, use a different cleaning process. Still want to proceed? Here are the steps to follow:
- Before placing it into the dishwasher, be sure to remove any fragile parts like glass downstems or bowls. Silicone downstems or metal bowls should be removed and tossed into the dishwasher next to your bong.
- Place the bong accessories on the top shelf and the silicone bong on the bottom rack so that it’s facing upside down and water can get inside.
- Set the water temperature to medium-high or high. Choose a very short five minute cycle.
- After the cycle has ended, be careful when removing your silicone bong since it can be very hot. Give the inside a good rinse with fresh water to remove any leftover residue and set it out to dry.
- Once the water pipe and all accessories are completely dry, pack a bowl and light up!
Silicone bong cleaning solution
Specialty cleaners are designed specifically for removing resin and buildup from silicone bongs and pipes. There are two ways to use your specialty cleaner. You can either fill the inside of your water pipe, cover all openings and go crazy shaking or use a sealable Ziploc bag. Remove any fragile pieces and place your silicone bong in a sealable plastic bag with the bong cleaning solution. Be sure the specialty cleaner gets inside as well. Once it’s sealed, shake hard for at least three to five minutes. Then let the silicone bong sit in the solution for at least a few hours or overnight if your bong is extra dirty.
The freezer cleaning process is much easier and adds less wear and tear to your bong, so try this before attempting to use the dishwasher. You can get a clean bong while you sleep! The cleaning process is simple:
- Start by setting your freezer to the coldest available temperature.
- Remove any glass or metal components. This cleaning method is just for silicone.
- Give the bong a rinse with hot water and be sure that there is no ash.
- Empty out the hot water and give it a shake or two to remove any excess water. You want the inside of the silicone bong to be wet but there shouldn’t be any pools of water inside.
- Put it in the freezer lying flat. Keep it there overnight or at least four hours.
- In the morning, remove the bong with dry hands and begin smashing and moving the silicone. You’ll hear cracking and crunching sounds as the ice breaks off the sides of the silicone bong. The buildup should be frozen solid and come cracking right off.
Dishwashing liquid and water
For this straightforward cleaning method, you’ll need a bottle brush, dishwashing liquid, and a sink with warm water. Using dishwashing liquid and water works the best right after a smoke session when the resin is stin warm and hasn’t solidified to the inside of your bong yet.
- Dump out any dirty bong water and ash. Remove the downstem and bowl.
- Using warm water, rinse out the dirty bong a few times and shake hard.
- Pour some dishwashing liquid inside the silicone bong and start scrubbing using the bottle brush to reach the very bottom and corners of the bong. A gentle scrub should do it. Depending on the type of your bottle brush, it could damage the material inside if you scrub too hard. Bending and twisting is your friend here and will help you clean hard to reach areas.
- Rinse everything with warm water so you know there is absolutely no soap residue left inside or outside the bong.
- Lay it on paper towels or place it upside down on a dish rack to dry.
Every seasoned stoner has a stockpile of isopropyl alcohol since it’s the best way to clean glass bongs, smoking accessories, fingers, or anything that gets sticky with resin. But is this the same for silicone bongs? Some people do not recommend cleaning silicone bongs with isopropyl alcohol, however this is perfectly fine if your bong is made from food-grade silicone. Just don’t try to clean a bong made from cheap silicone or you might end up damaging it permanently. Cleaning with rubbing alcohol is easy:
- Just like the other cleaning methods, you’ll want to dump out leftover bong water and ash plus remove all fragile parts.
- Place the silicone bong in a Ziploc bag or other sealable plastic bag and fill it with isopropyl alcohol being cautious that the inside is also getting filled. 90%-99% rubbing alcohol works best if you have it. Rubbing alcohol works great on glass bong bowls and metal, so you can drop those in too.
- Shake hard for at least five minutes massaging the bong so the inside gets clean. Be careful with glass components. Leave the bong soaking for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove all the pieces and give it a good check to see if all buildup is removed. If not, go in with a soft brush or pipe cleaner.
- Now you’ve got yourself a clean bong.
How to clean a silicone bowl
Cleaning a silicone bowl is just as easy as cleaning silicone bongs, though it’s best to have some pipe cleaners to get the joint sparkling clean. All of the methods above can also be used to clean a silicone bowl, however the dishwasher should be the last resort since bong bowls typically have lots of residue and can move around and get lost in the dishwasher. Once you’ve used one of the cleaning methods we’ve described, it’s best to pick out stubborn resin using a pipe cleaner soaked in isopropyl alcohol. Try to find isopropyl alcohol that is at least 90%. Always set your bowl on paper towels to dry out and only use it again once it’s completely dry.
Silicone bongs for sale
Psychedelic Silicone Beaker Bong - Dream about life in the era of free love with the hippie inspired Silicone Beaker Bong with swirling psychedelic design that’ll have you shouting groovy baby! This nearly drop proof bong has a 14mm male glass bowl and a glass downstem.
Silicone Demon Bong - At just 3.5 inches tall, the Silicone Demon Bong is miniature in stature, but still packs a punch that will drag you to the underworld. The mini bong is made from bright red silicone in the shape of a skull with horns and uses a glass bowl.
Silicone Squid Bong - The Silicone Squid Bong comes with an 18mm glass bowl and 18mm glass banger so it can be used for dabs and flower.
Silicone Extendable Bong - Just when we thought there wasn’t any more that could be done to make a bong more portable, the Silicone Extendable Bong appeared. The neck of this beaker bong extends from eight inches to a whopping 20 inches! This large bong uses a 3.5-inch downstem and 14mm glass bowl.
How to clean silicone pipe
Silicone pipes are great for traveling since they’re lightweight, durable, and can scrunch up to fit in the smallest of places. Just like silicone bongs, any modern stoner who tokes on the go should have a silicone pipe in their toolbox. Silicone pipe cleaning is pretty much the same as cleaning a silicone bong. You can use all the same cleaning products and methods described above. The only difference is that it’s a lot smaller and will require pipe cleaners to really catch the inside corners and clear out that small space. You’ll get the best results by cleaning silicone pipes by hand.
How to clean a silicone pipe without silicone cleaner
By now, you should know that you don’t need a special silicone cleaner to get your pipe looking brand new. While specialty cleaners are great to have, it’s not something you’ll always have around. If that’s the case for you, try the rubbing alcohol or dishwashing liquid and warm water method. Use a rubbing alcohol soaked pipe cleaner to reach small spaces like the air carb and mouthpiece. Don’t be tempted to use the dishwasher. Since silicone pipes have such small holes that dishwashers just can’t get enough cleaning power and water within it to clean out the inside. It’s really just a mess you want to avoid.
How to clean a silicone pipe without alcohol
On the other hand, if you don’t have isopropyl alcohol, you can always try the freezer method or using dishwashing liquid and warm water. All of these cleaning methods will get the job done. If you smoke regularly, you’ll want to pick up some rubbing alcohol when you go on a munchies run so you have it on deck the next time you need to clean sticky fingers, gunked up herb grinders, or your silicone pipe.
Silicone pipes for sale
- Silicone Hobbit Pipe - This nine-inch silicone pipe with a metal bowl is an upgrade to your grandpa’s old pipe. Choose between two vibrant colors.
- Silicone Diamond Hand Pipe - The Silicone Diamond Hand Pipe has a unique pointed shape that fits right into the palm of your hand for discreet toking. This 4-inch mini silicone pipe has a left side carb to control airflow and a heat-safe plastic bowl.
- Silicone Ice Cream Cone Pipe - Have you ever smoked out of an ice cream cone? Choose from a strawberry or vanilla ice cream cone complete with sprinkles! This five-inch Silicone Ice Cream Cone Pipe features a left side carb and borosilicate glass bowl.