Epidiolex Side Effects
Cannabis has come a long way in terms of regulation and being approved for both medicinal and recreational use. While cannabis definitely has a long way to go regarding full acceptance in society, the cannabis community received a win a few years ago when the FDA approved the first cannabidiol oral solution, Epidiolex. This prescription drug contains marijuana compounds that are used to help with seizures that are caused by epilepsy. But what are epidiolex side effects and is it the best alternative for epileptic individuals? Learn more about Epidiolex’s history and the possible side effects when consuming this prescription drug.
What is Epidiolex?
In 2018, Epidiolex was approved by the FDA as a brand-name prescription drug used to treat seizures. There are three types of epilepsy that Epidiolex can help with: Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, Dravet syndrome, and Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC).
Epidiolex is the first drug to contain cannabidiol, or CBD, that has been approved by the FDA. Epidiolex only contains CBD and not the psychoactive ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC. This helps to put any doubts to rest about feeling any “high” effects, since CBD does not make one feel high like weed does.
Epidiolex was first considered to be a controlled substance, which means it was initially thought to have a risk of being misused and causing dependence. But as of 2020 it has been removed from the FDA’s list of controlled substances and can now be obtained more easily for epileptic individuals.
Epidiolex side effects
There are quite a few Epidiolex side effects that can occur, which range from mild to more serious side effects depending on the individual. While the following will be an extensive list of possible side effects, there are more side effects that can possibly occur so if taking Epidiolex please monitor all of your symptoms and speak with your doctor.
Common side effects of Epidiolex
Some common side effects of Epidiolex can include but are not limited to the following. These can be considered mild side effects, but if they persist it is best to speak with a medical professional to properly address any problematic symptoms.
- Feeling weak, drowsiness and overall lack of energy
- Loss of appetite or stomach issues like diarrhea
- Skin rash
- Lowered immune system and prone to infections
If taking Epidiolex causes any type of discomfort or general feeling of being unwell, please visit your doctor and take note of symptoms that can help with adjusting doses.
Serious side effects of Epidiolex
It is not very common to experience serious side effects when taking Epidiolex, but it is important to note that serious side effects can occur and should be dealt with accordingly. If you experience the following side effects that are considered serious, please call your doctor or a medical professional right away. If you feel these side effects are life threatening, do not hesitate to call 911 as these side effects would be considered a medical emergency.
- Severe allergic reaction. You will know if you are having an allergic reaction, whether it is swelling, unable to breathe, breaking out in a bad rash, etc. When symptoms like this persist it is important to stay calm and call a doctor to figure out the best remedy depending on the type of reaction.
- Sedation, extreme tiredness. While drowsiness is a common side effect and considered to be less mild, there are Epidiolex users that experience extreme drowsiness and report feeling unusually sleepy. When using Epidiolex, it is possible to experience mild drowsiness to extreme sedation so if experiencing this serious symptom make sure you are not operating a vehicle or heavy machinery.
- Liver issues. If you notice any nausea, pain in the upper abdomen area, jaundice or dark-colored urine, then liver issues have begun and need to be addressed immediately. If users already have liver issues, the chances will increase and your doctor should take caution when prescribing this medication.
- Weight loss. Loss of appetite is a common side effect, but if that symptom persists it is natural to experience weight loss. If experiencing extreme amounts of weight loss in a short amount of time, a medical professional should help with this and be aware before it gets worse.
Is Epidiolex safe?
Many Epidiolex users have reported a significant decrease in seizures and have overall allowed epileptic individuals to resume a normal life. Epileptic individuals at their worst can have several to dozens of seizures a day so taking Epidiolex to manage this is a game changer for those with this neurological disorder. If taking Epidiolex is not an option for you, taking CBD might be another great alternative! Try the best CBD oil for seizures if interested in trying a holistic approach to treating epilepsy, cannabidiol just might save the day in the best way.