Weed rolling trays are not just for looks, although they make great decorative pieces for your coffee table too. Anyone who prefers to roll up their bud in a joint, spliff, or blunt know the importance of keeping things tidy and rolling trays do just that. These trays may be metal, plastic, resin, or wood, but all serve as an organization tool and to catch any fallen herb.
Are rolling trays worth it?
You may be wondering why you would need a rolling tray and if it’s worth the investment and the answer is yes! For starters, cheap rolling trays start at less than $5 each (see some options below). Rolling trays are used to keep all smoking materials like your baggie of flower, rolling papers, lighter, tips, and herb grinder all in one place. No matter how good you are at whipping up a joint or blunt, there’s bound to be some loose pieces that fall. Rolling trays catch any stray flower so it doesn’t get lost in your carpet or couch. It’s easy to find rolling trays of all colors and designs to match your personality, interests, mood, or decor, but if you’re more the crafty type, here are a few ways you can make your own homemade rolling tray.
What can I use as a rolling tray?
If you’re not into crafts and are just looking for something to use as a temporary rolling tray, there are a number of items that can get the job done. These are just a few things you can find lying around the house that can work as a makeshift rolling tray until you remember to invest in a real one.
- Thick magazine
- Trinket tray
- Cookie tin cover
DIY rolling tray ideas
Tiktok DIY rolling tray
These neat DIY glitter rolling trays are all over Tiktok and you’re probably dying to test it out for yourself. This is a quick project that doesn’t take much skill and has endless options for customization. You can choose to use photos or stickers to create an entire scene or use a minimal mix of colors and glitter to get your finished look. We’re going to break down the DIY rolling tray step by step.
DIY rolling tray supplies list:
- Dollar tree metal tray
- Spray paint
- Epoxy and disposable gloves
- Two plastic disposable cups
- Paint brush
- Glitter (optional)
- Stickers or photos (optional)
- Remove any labels from the rolling tray and use the spray paint on the front and back of the tray to create your desired base color.
- If you plan to add glitter, mix the epoxy in the plastic cups according to the instructions and add your glitter directly to the epoxy after it’s fully mixed. Spread this glitter coat onto your tray using a paintbrush and let it harden for 24 to 48 hours.
- After the glitter coat is hard, you can add any stickers or photos to the tray and repeat the epoxy process with a clear coat to seal in your designs. You can be as creative as you want to! Let the final coat fully harden for another 24 to 48 hours.
DIY resin rolling tray
If you don’t like the look or shape of a cheap store-bought metal rolling tray and would like to get a little more creative, try creating your entire rolling tray from resin. This method can be a little more expensive since you’ll need to invest in a silicone mold, but the results look great and you can tell your stoner buddies that you created it yourself!
DIY resin rolling tray supplies list:
- Silicone tray mold (Get one from Amazon, Etsy, or craft stores)
- Resin and resin hardener
- Disposable gloves
- Clear plastic cups for mixing
- Resin pigment ink
- Glitter, gold leaf, or mica powder for shimmer (optional)
- Photos, stickers, leaves or flowers (optional)
- Put on your gloves and prepare the resin and hardener in the cups according to the instructions on the bottle. Split the resin between cups so you can add the resin pigment ink. Now you should have all your colors ready to go.
- Prepare your silicone mold with any creative elements you’d like to add. Swipe some mica powder inside the mold along the raised edges for example.
- Pour your colored resins into the mold in whatever pattern you prefer and make sure to fill all corners. It takes 24 to 48 hours for the resin to dry, however it will dry in seconds if you have a heat gun.
- After the resin is hard, pop your tray out of the mold and add any additional elements such as photos, stickers, large glitter, leaves, or flowers. Mix a final batch of clear resin and pour it over the base of your tray to add a clear coat over your decorative elements.
If your DIY skills just don’t cut it, try out one of these cool rolling trays from our online headshop.
- Ooze 2-in-1 rolling tray with grinder
- Moonrocks hybrid metal rolling tray with dab mat
- Pink 420 shatter-resistant glass rolling tray
- Alice in Wonderland wooden rolling tray with side storage
How do you make a glitter rolling tray?
If you're looking into making your own rolling tray, or customizing one, you've come to the right place. If you're making aglitter rolling tray, you'll need to mix glitter with epoxy, and follow the directions. Get your rolling tray and apply, and you'll have a beautiful glitter tray!
What can I use for a rolling tray?
Making a rolling tray can be easy, you'll just need to start out with something flat that you can lay out your bud on to break up. Some things that can be used as a rolling tray around your house are books, magazines, mirrors, metal trays, trinket trays, even a frisbee!
How do you put pictures on a rolling tray?
In order to get photos or pictures on a rolling tray, you'll need a resin and resin hardener to lock in the photos. Place your photo on the tray of your choice, then add the resin to seal in the cute new pictures you have on your rolling tray. You'll have a one of a kind rolling tray!
What is the best use for making a rolling tray?
When making a rolling tray, you'll have a unique, one of a kind tray that will truly be yours! You can add photos, customize with colors and glitter, even use different types of epoxy to truly make your rolling tray a one of a kind statement piece to roll your joints with